A day in China!

A day in China!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Party Like Only Music Majors Can:-)

Well, Like I mentioned in my last blog, I have been trying to think of creative ways to be intentional with my students!!! I knew that one of my classes was full of Art Majors. Some drawing, painting, cartooning, Fashion Design, and Music!!! It is so great to get to teach so many different students..But on the flip side the art majors are the LEAST likely(besides my basketball/sports majors) to know english or even want to learn english. So I decided to invited my music students over to my apartment for a night of food and music! I told them I would make American food and they could all play my new piano and sing for me:-) I was sooo excited!!! I cooked food the entire day before they arrived! Because my oven looks like an "Easy Bake Oven" and I can only cook a few things at once, one meal can take hours to prepare:-( But it was all worth it! I made Chili and rice, along with fruit salad, egg and sausage breakfast casserole, bacon wrapped peppers and many desserts!!!

These were the red velvet cake balls I made..it's amazing what you can use chopsticks for:-) Now please don't think I can easily make these:-( I had all the ingredients sent to me from my AMAZING MOM:-)
My apartment was filled! It is not very big but we fit 15 people in and had a wonderful time! These guys loved the cake balls:-) Sylvia is the student in the back with her hands up...she is the most dramatic student I have even had!! After every class I am exhausted because of her intense attitude toward EVERYTHING i Do. I'm not kidding!! If I change my fingernail polish she will say in a VERY loud voice, "Oh My Gosh Ms. Chandler...You finger color...amazing!" LOL...her English is very broken but she does try:-)
This boy playing the guitar is Chen Guo. He is not my student but "Bella" in the brown coat brought him! He has great English and is an excellent musician! My friend Kirk, who teaches in Wuchang also came for the party! He is a great musician and I thought it would be fun for my guy students to meet an American guy who also plays and sings!
The guys passed around the guitar and we all sang! It was so fun! My girl students were VERY happy to take lots of pictures of Kirk and video of him playing and singing:-)
This is "Bruce"...He is a great singer of Chinese Opera! He sang a beautiful song and Kirk tried to help him in the back:-)
This is "Smile"....She is an excellent piano player and cross stitcher! She made me a beautiful Cross Stitch that I have hanging in my bedroom!
This boy playing the piano is "Carlos"(I had a hard time calling him that name...I mean it just didn't seem right:-)) He is also not one of my students but he came with his friends! He played for "Anne" as she sag Chinese Opera for us! It was great!
This was the food table...they really loved the fruit and didn't really touch the homemade snickers! Chinese people don't eat much sugar.
This is me with all my girls:-) I love them...because these are all music education majors I have such a special place in my heart for them:-)
The boys wanted their own picture:-) Lol...
The whole group!!! It was such a fun night and I was completely exhausted after they all left but SOOOOOO worth every minute! Made me miss college and singing together with other music people:-) I think I have friends forever with these students!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! Because of it, I ended up having some deep conversations with a Chinese woman at my "house". She re-iterated all that you have written here with your interactions of the Chinese. It inspires me! :) Anyways, one random question - are y'all wearing purple shoe covers like what is in hospitals? Do you pass those out at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I am sad to say the answer to your question is yes:-( But because we walk most everywhere and everything here is so dirty we don't like to wear our shoes in the house. I just leave my shoes at the door and wear slippers(most people here do this) but when we have groups over there are not enough slippers to go around so we have plastic slippers for the shoes. They look like the ones at the hospital and I call them "Shower caps":-) I'm so glad you had a good conversation with a chinese friend!!! Thanks for writing:-)

    ReplyDelete