A day in China!

A day in China!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Teaching and Traffic!

So I want to tell you a little about my amazing students and about the not so amazing Wuhan Traffic!!! I will start with the students:-)

So, be ready to be jealous...my classes are Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday...and then I'm done:-) Amazing, right?????!!!!!! Next, today(Thursday) was the first day I taught in a classroom with airconditioning:-) This was the most exciting thing to see at 7:50am when I entered my classroom! I teach in different classrooms, at different times. Most of which are HOT!!! Like TEXAS, HOT! Humid, sweating...you get the picture. I am teaching one and a half hour classes twice a day for this 8 weeks and then my schedule changes. But It is great! I currently have 2 different levels of students. "B" Level, which can understand and speak on an intermediate level. The I have the "D" students...HAHAHA...they are like my bilingual Kindergartners in Willis! They understand about 1 out of every 20 words and getting one or two words from them is like pulling teeth! So, they are both challenging in their own way. Today I was having them recognize colors:-) I really waned to burst into "Hello, Boys and girls" and make them echo with "Hello Ms. Chandler"(in a sol-mi pattern) but I refrained:-)

Ok so not that you understand the levels lets talk English names...Today I had "Apple, Orange, Juice, Milk, Small Crab, James(as in Lebron James), Kobe(as in Bryant), Jack Yu, Mendez, Tide Hunter, Handel, Spiderman, Apologize" and I could go on and on. So within all these classes I am teaching different Major groups. I have some Art majors, Engineering Majors, Communication majors, and finally...THE BASKETBALL TEAM!!!!! Oh YES! These Guys understand NOTHING of what I say and can not speak anything unless repeated. They are so awesome!!! I think this class will be my favorite:-) They are like JR High Students in America...LOL Most of them come from the country side to play ball. They ALL know "NBA" and "Basketball"! They are also all 6ft 10! These are the tallest Chinese boys I have ever seen....I look like the short one when they are around. I just laughed when I walked into class and they were all looking at me and laughing. We knew there would be problem. But it was tons of fun. I will use lots of pictures and it will be just like Kindergaten on the first day:-) Except I don't have to wipe noses! Oh but they do spit on the floor at random times while I am teaching. This is normal.....I try not to throw up.

So, my first week has been exciting and adventurous. I am loving every moment. Well maybe not the excess smell of sewer and paint all the time. They are painting our buildings and it is so strong it will knock you over! I believe it also has Latex in it..Which I am allergic to:-( I would ask that you lift this up to the Father with me. I have had some very strange reactions on my feet and arms but PTL it has not been bad, Just irritating and painful. But I'm so grateful it has not effected my lungs. This would be a problem. I am believing it will not be a problem.

I have enjoyed PR walking on my campus and the Streets of Wuhan. This helps me to love these people. Also helps me to keep my focus right. It was wonderful to see that the bus is not working on my street and I can take it to WalMart! Saves time...But there is no good way to get the bus stop on the other side of the street to get back so I walked. This was a wonderful time of talking with My father and expressing my gratefulness to Him and making my requests known. He already knows them but it is so good to voice them with the One who cares the most for me.

Tomorrow is Baking day and Lunch with a friend from a near by school! Today I was visited my my Awesome boss and his Wonderful Family! They have 2 little girls and I'm pretty much want them for my own:-) They are so sweet:-) We are going to be good friends!
Enough for now...I will talk more about the traffic later! Good Night from Wuhan! You are all a blessing to me and I love you:-)

3 comments:

  1. spitting? do they chew tobacco?
    Sounds a little different than your Magnolia students...but what a wunderbar time you will have teaching and learning this year. Abba has some great plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are bringing back wonderful memories of when we got our Anna Bei in Wuhan, especially the spitting anywhere and everywhere! What about everyone squatting when they eat on the sidewalk? Also, have you used any public bathrooms yet? If so, what were your impressions? lol! I LOVED it there despite the differences in culture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melodie,
    We so look forward to reading your blogs. They are informative and fun. Your outlook on everything you experience is an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for the specifics we can discuss with Dad this weekend. On a lighter note, .....have they ever heard of our old Texas spittoons? I can picture you demonstrating to your class how to use one. Let us know if we should send one.
    Love,
    G & D

    ReplyDelete