A day in China!

A day in China!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Living My Dream...

This last week it hit me..."I am living my dream!?"...Yeah...I really am living where I have always wanted to be. Since I was 10 years old I knew this is where I wanted to be. I feel amazingly content here. I have been here 5 1/2 week and if I could just speak Chinese I think It would be perfect:-) That is one of the most challenging things right now...The language barrier:-( But, little by little...I will press on!

So I will begin with last weekend...I attended the Asian Basketball Championship game!!! It was China vs. Jordan in the final game and WE WON!!!! I was sporting the China flag on my Cheek and waving one in my hand!!! I went with a friend who teaches at a nearby school. We had a blast!!! The Chinese people were quite amused by us "Laouwai" (foreigners). I think we were the only American ladies in the place...We didn't stand out a bit;-) SOOOO Much fun!!!

Earlier in the weekend I hung out with some of my teammates and had a wonderful time of fellowship. Sat. Night my friend Jacqueline and I went to Hankou(another section of Wuhan) tot he crazy night market! We both had a great time venturing out in an unknown area and wondering around together. We bought a few things and were really excited to haggle some prices down:-) later that night after we got home I got a call from Paul, Jacq's husband, to say that her dad had unexpectedly passed away. I had been awake PRing for her, not knowing the reason but I knew that the Father wanted me to PR for her...maybe about stuff we had talked about that night. But they to hear this news, I was heartbroken for her. She and her husband are raising her 13yr old brother here in China with them. They are amazing people and I see the Father using them in a mighty way. Please keep them in your PRs as they are back in the states with their family for 2 weeks. I can not imagine how hard this must be but in my last talk with them before they left for the states I was so encouraged at how the Father was already working so mightily through this situation. Praise HIM!

I have been using Jacq's Bike since she left and i am enjoying riding all over my area of Wuhan:-) I have been to the supermarket a few times and Monday I went to a local coffee shop-E Coffee, for an afternoon of encouragement! I took my computer and My Favorite Book:-) I listened to 2 podcasts from my Hm fellowship and read!!!! Such a good time! I am enjoying all the "free time" I have here to spend with My Father! It is an unexplainable feeling to be in the place I have always wanted to be and getting to have more time to spend with Him. I'm so grateful for this time!!!

Teaching this week has been interesting...Monday was nothing to write home about:-) Wednesday, though, was quite amazing! I was talking to my classes about feelings. The Chinese students love to talk about their feelings:-) So it was great to hear more about them. I had each one write a paragraph about what they were feeling right at that moment and then share with the class. I loved this! They were quite good! Although, one student said he would change his feeling from sad to happy if I would let him sleep in class...I said NO WAY!!! The whole class laughed:-) Then I talked about how music affects our feelings. Byt he end of my class 2 students were crying...wow..it was pretty intense!!! I tend to make students cry...I did that in the states:-( Never my intention!!!! Thursday classes were very oposite! First class=AMAZING!!!! They are engineering majors...40 boy and 6 girls:-) Since they are my favorite...i asked them to help me come up with my Chinese name. I have been able to have a relationship with a few of these students outside of class so I thought it would be a good class to help me. Oh My Word was with an interesting experience. But I love the name I think I will stick with. Steven, raised his hand and said, "Ms. Chandler, I think I have a good name for you." He was very kind to help me find a name that sounded like my American name but with a good meaning(That's what he tried to tell me). Chen Mei, is my Chinese name. Since in Chinese the family name comes first he said "Chen" is similar to Chandler. "Mei" is the word for "beautiful". He said "I think this fits you very well." I think my face turned red at that point and all the other students laughed. Then his face turned red. LOL I was trying not to crack up! It was so cute!! But I like the sound of it and it is worlds better than the other options given....like the character for winter/snow, followed by the character for bird. Yeah....I was like, ok, what does this represent? He said, "I think you are like a bird flying through the snow...it is a very beautiful picture in my mind". Then I was thoroughly creeped out! He said "It is a pure and clean picture." that's nice but what will other people think when I tell them my name is "Snowbird"???? So, "Chen Mei" it is:-) The I found out that there is a famous violinist named "Chen Mei" also:-) This makes me happy! My second class on Thursday is the basketball team...yep...it's like I have to eat my dessert first and then take Vitamins:-( That class keeps me on my knees for sure!!! After the first 45 min. I just quit...I said "who...............UN_DER_STANdS........me????" like 10 guys and 1 girl raised their hand. I called them up and we had a heart to heart. I asked what in the world can I do to help the others to understand me?? The Biggest guy in my class(Vincent) said "You must interesting us"....I was like "what?"..."You need to teach us sport". I got the point....the last 45min I drew the basketball court on the board and we learned the English word for every basketball term(that I know). How the score works in English and how to speak the plays in English. I had 60% class participation at this point and felt like a "Winner"...lol at the end I said "China wins!!!....LEAVE!" They all laughed...oh and they also laughed when I made one student come up to the front and pretend to play defense while I had the ball....lol this was soooo funny!!!

Last night, I was invited by my University to attend a banquet celebrating the National Holiday. 6 of the foreign teachers here were invited and we had a great time. It was very Com..un..st, but a great experience!!! I was able to talk with some of the higher ups of the University and also visit with my Waiban. Chinese party's include lots of toasting(like random, toasting). They do many things for the "show" of it here. So the more toasts the better. The decorations were very elaborate and the entertainment...well, hilarious! It was such a fun experience to go and I am so grateful for the opportunity!!!

Please be PRing for the opportunity that the Father is giving me to have some relationships with other teachers at my school. I might be able to have coffee with a Chinese teacher this week on our National Holiday break. We get one week off...it's such a hard life living here;-) Today(One of the most stressful days I have had in Wuhan) I was able to spend with a sweet student I met at English Corner. She is precious!!! She came with me to try to figure out how to get my paper work done so my boxes will be delivered from customs....it si WAY too long to explain but PLEASE PR it will work out!!!! We spent all day at Customs offices and official Chinese offices only to end up getting no where and now there will be a week break for everyone....SO we need a Miracle! But back to the GREAT news!!! I was able to Share the Gspl with her today!!! YAYAY...If I never get those boxes I will always remember this day! She is very excited to know about the Father but also she is in a tough situation. I can not get into it but Please PR for her!!!! I know we will have a special friendship...we will call her LD.

Sorry this post ended up being so long....Love you all!!! Please remember that news from the mother land is always appreciated:-)

1 comment:

  1. We love to see your big smile! The pics were great. Missed your folks at our HG meeting last night, but you were sure remembered and lifted up.
    G & D.

    ReplyDelete