A day in China!

A day in China!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Week 1 finished and Day one of TEACHING!!!

My heart is overjoyed as I sit and think about where My Father has so perfectly placed me right now. I knew this was his plan...I knew these were my people...But it has become so evident to me as I walk past them and rub shoulders with them that I love them so very much. I could not have dreamed that my heart could so easily love these people. I wanted it to but to Him be the glory because He has given me such a love for them. Even the crazy, drunken ones that frustrate me...lol.

Today marks the end of my first week in my new home. I must say this Monday is much more at peace than last!! I am beginning to feel like this is my home and not just my place of residence. I am not all the way there yet(I don't have enough decor on the walls to make it feel like home quite yet but the boxes are coming:-)) My kitchen light still doesn't work but I have adjusted. My bed is still hard but I am also adjusting. It's amazing what you can sleep on when you are tired:-) I have found myself to be extremely tired at the end of the day. Maybe that's because of the jet lag still but, This too shall pass...8:30pm has become my bed time:-)

I was so excited about today! My first day to teach my students!!! Yesterday we were al called for a meeting(all the foreign teachers) and given our schedules and introduced to our Co-Teacher(Chinese English Teacher). This was very interesting...My schedule was in Chinese...and extremely confusing! But with a little help from my Co-Teacher and some de-coding on my part I figured it out. It is the most random thing I have ever done...I felt so unprepared to begin teaching today. I thought I would not begin until Thursday but I am learning to be flexible:-) It's the Chinese way. So needless to say I was lesson planning all afternoon Yesterday after a wonderful lunch some friends at the Aloha Diner. I was unable to attend the Foreign Fellowship yesterday morning because of the meeting but it was great to see like minded people at lunch! I was finally able to meet Kirk!!! Some of you may remember me talking about him. He was Isabella's English teacher her last year in High School. It was great to finally meet in person! After my lesson was finished and I printed out my roll sheet(also in Chinese) I went to bed. A very peaceful sleep:-) Thanks to HIM!

This morning I awoke with excitement and a small amount of nervousness."What will my classes be like?" "Will they speak English very well?" "What will they think of me?"....LOL well these thoughts were quickly answered when my first class of 34 arrived. Most of them entered the room and giggled...I chose to think the best of that. I began my intro lesson just introducing myself and then allowing them to help me decode the roll. HAHA that was funny because at this point I realized most of them could not speak one sentence in English. Some of them didn't even have an English name(Which is required on my class). So first things first...I gave them some names and most f them chose random names from movies and video games. One boy said loudly "my name is Missionary". I thought this was odd...he gave me a very strange stare and waited for my reply. I just said..."hmmm interesting" and went on. What was even more funny was when I called on him later in class to answer a question and all the students laughed at him. I knew something was up. Oh well...just keep teaching!
My second class was very sweet....Same low English ability but many more students who look like they will try! I asked them all to write down a question for me on their info card I gave them and these proved to be very interesting!!! One girl wrote..."Are you always Angry?". I was very shocked!!! at the class break I pulled her aside and asked her why she thought I was angry! She was very embarrassed and laughed a lot and I finally realized that she meant to say "Are you EVER angry?"....Boy was I relieved! She said all her other teachers are angry and she hoped I wouldn't be:-) Very sweet girl!!!:-) Another student stood up to introduce herself and said "Hello, my name is Seven and I know God too!" I almost cried but I held back the tears and just said "Aw I'm sooooo glad!". So many things excited me about the classes.

Tomorrow I have the day off and some friends are coming for a visit:-) YAY!!!! Then back to teaching on Wednesday and Thursday! Then Off again on Friday:-) I could get REALLY used to this schedule!

Love you all and Thinking about you! Thank you for the sweet comments you leave:-)

2 comments:

  1. Melodie,
    Your note sure sounds encouraging. I think someone is showing you that you are in the plan. A great place to be. We can't wait until our next Home/B Team meeting next Sunday evening. Love hearing your Mom and Dad give us additional insight so we can discuss it with him.
    One thing though, I thought you told me that your dad (Rick) wasn't afraid of anything? Have you ever seen him stand over a 3 foot birdie putt? His knees shake like he stepped on an electric current. I have enjoyed our times together on the course.
    Love,
    George and Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melodie,

    I so enjoyed reading about your first week. Having started my classes this week, too, I can't imagine how "interesting" they would have been if my students barely spoke English. My students, however, do speak English. They just want to get better at speaking and writing it. This semester I have students from Mexico, Turkey, Spain, all over Central America, and several countries in South America, I have 28 grammar students and 26 writing students; like yours, mine meet on MW.

    How many students do you have in your classes?

    I was glad to read that you got to visit with Isabella and that you met Kirk. I know the friends you make there will be so important to you, not only this year, but in years to come. I agree with Diane and George that it sounds like you're in the right place at the right time - good Planner!

    You're in my daily thoughts, and I look forward to hearing about your continued Great Adventure!

    LiH,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete