A day in China!

A day in China!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

WalMart's Grand Opening!!!






Who would have ever thought I would be so excited about going to the Grand Opening of a WalMart Store??? But I must say I have waited with much excitement for this day...LOL

Today has been a great day! I went shopping with my friends Trevor and Inga, who are also teachers here JianHan University. We had a great time having lunch together at a Western restaurant, which btw was playing Lady A when we walked in:-) The owner said that was just for me:-) She and I are going to be great friends:-) She was a choral director in her "previous life" and we share many of the same desires and passions, if you know wat I mean;-) After my amazing grilled cheese sandwich and fruit smoothie we went to the market:-) It was very empty...because everyone in Wuhan was at the Grand Opening of WalMart! So the normal market was very nice and unstressful:-) I was very proud of myself because I got the cab home on my own....I mean I was able to communicate in Chinese where he needed to take us:-) That's always a good thing to know where you live and how to say it:-)

Then since my friends didn't want to venture out to the new Wally World I struck out alone:-) It is not a far walk...Maybe half a Mile there and back. As I walked out of my apartment I noticed how BLUE the sky is today...then I thought...I think He made the sky blue today for WalMart's Grand Opening...You know, Blue Sky, Blue WalMart???....Just a thought:-) But more than that I think the One who made me was smiling on me with that bright blue sky today:-) It was so nice!!! Ok, as I approached I realized that not only was this a WalMart it was a huge Galleria type mall and an IMAX theater! WOWZERS! This place was rockin' my world! Oh also, When crossing the Streets you kind of have to be REALLY careful...I mean since everyone drives everywhere and no one obeys the rules you just do what you have to do to survive. I like crossing the street:-) It's like a competition between the car,bus,scooter,bike and me:-) I love competition:-) This has become one of my favorite things to do in China:-) No Worries...I am careful:-) I have to have a few things that challenge me that I can challenge back:-)
Ok, back to WalMart....So as I crossed the Street I entered through the Mall entrance. This was incredible! I mean I didn't recognize any stores except one that's not worth mentioning on the blog but it was still awesome how this huge megaplex of a mall just appeared! It is 3 stories. The whole bottom level is WalMart, the ST level and top are the mall and IMAX. They had strange demonstrations and entertainment. You can see that in one of the pictures there were golden statues. When I was taking the picture they moved and I realized they were real people:-) Oh China:-) Got to Love it!
Then I made my way to the Lower level. I have a picture of the entrance...you have to take an escalator down to the WalMart. Then I watched in amazement as people dashed around looking for sales and bargins:-) People were shouting and children crying and I think one of the nine million people that live in Wuhan were in that store!!!! CRAZINESS!!!!! Although...some of the people thought it more fun just to stare at me...not quite used to that yet. Also, I am not very good at the chinese "push and shove". I get a bit trampled...then I get frustrated...then i feel bad for being frustrated...then when in China, do as the Chinese do! lol maybe someday but for now I just yield:-) (and try not to be frustrated!!) I was able to get my 3 things I came for and get out in about 45 min. Then the crazy walk back home, with a huge comforter(to try to make my VERY hard bed a little softer), a sheet, and a curling/straitening thing for my hair! Until now I have had nothing because mine don't work here. But this Southern girl has to fix her hair!!! It's a MUST!
Well I just wanted to give you a little picture of my Chinese life:-) Love you all!!! I'm gonna rest for a while!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Melodie, I'm enjoying your journey and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an IMax next door to us?!?!?! SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melodie,
    What a great couple of updates you gave us. You are such a great writer. We are so glad that you have made some good friendships already. Your apartment looks so nice. We found it interesting that one friend's mother is a specialized doctor. You are in our thoughts and "talk" daily.
    George and Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great, you are a brae woman, good luck on your first day tomorrow! We are thinking and praying for you. Henry says Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, but I heard you talk at IM class before you left. I was in China 13 years ago, and I can totally relate about the bed! I don't know if your bed is like the ones we had in our dorms, but they were just a piece of plywood with a VERY thin mattress. I hope you were able to make your bed softer! I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. I'll be thinking of you!

    Stephanie Schuler

    ReplyDelete